Do I Qualify for a TelAbortion?
To qualify for the TelAbortion Project, you will need to meet all the same standard criteria as for an in-person medical abortion. These include:
- You are pregnant and want a medical abortion.
- You must not have any of the following conditions that could potentially make a medical abortion unsafe for you:
— an intrauterine device (such as Paragard, Mirena, Skyla, Liletta, Kyleena) in your uterus now
— any problem with your adrenal glands
— any condition that affects the ability of your blood to clot normally
— inherited porphyria (a genetic blood disease)
— an allergy to the abortion drugs
- You are not using certain kinds of medicines that could interfere with any drugs administered during the abortion. These include anticoagulants (blood thinners) and steroids.
In addition, for a TelAbortion:
- You need a device (phone, tablet, or computer) with internet connection, a webcam, and a microphone.
- You will be able to have all the necessary pre-abortion tests, receive the medications, and take the first abortion pill before you are 70 days (10 weeks) along in your pregnancy. If you have already had an ultrasound done, having the report on hand before you contact the TelAbortion provider can speed up the process. If you know, or have documentation of your blood type (e.g., O positive) that will also be helpful to have readily available.
- You live in a state where the project operates, or you live elsewhere but are able to have your consult and receive the package in a project state.
Based on the information you provide in the video evaluation and on the results of your tests, the study abortion provider will make a final determination as to whether you qualify for the TelAbortion study.
To qualify, you must be able to take the first abortion pill before you are 70 days (10 weeks) along in your pregnancy. Use our pregnancy calculator below to estimate your gestational age: